Sunday 1 November 2009

Lets take away cutlery





For the brief I had decided to take away the most western of implements, the cutlery and document it's possible consequences. My reason for the choice of implement was simple, eastern cultures seemingly adopt a closer connection with their food, family and generally speaking, with their senses, taste, touch and olfactory. I had intended to see if I could rouse similar effects within our western culture and where better to start than in the school canteen. 
Cutlery serves as an obstacle between the user and the food in which they eat, this is not to say that western cuisine demands such implements because it does, either way, I wanted to document users interactions with their food and this was the most appropriate method.

Some of the responses that I received are as follows:
- You consider the texture before it reaches your mouth
- You develop an association between texture and flavor
- Germs were at the forefront of most participants minds
- The plate was perceived as a unique territory
- Tearing the food with fingers feels new
- Licking fingers feels wrong

No comments:

Post a Comment