Friday 23 April 2010

Somali cooking session: 1



I had not anticipated the fruition of this encounter at all, but I could not have been more wrong. Abdikarin had kindly informed the lovely Somalian lady Aziza, also from the centre to run me through the Somalia national dish in her cosy little flat just off Lansdowne way, Lambeth although not too keen on having her photo taken, I still managed to take a few pics of the session. The break down of the session and the recipes will be on the website.

These are the encounters that I am aiming to pepper the map with, it was wonderful to witness the spices that were used, to be given a break down of the recipe, the traditions of recipe handing down from mother to daughter and the translations. It was a brief session but I had absorbed elements of the cuisine, of the history that may not have been attainable in any other way. This portraits although simple are a window into their culture.

No comments:

Post a Comment